For the Filling
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (or better less if you use really sweet blackberries or other fruits)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (for cups 2 tablespoons are enough)
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (corresponds to 40 g, if you prefere use more)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter using 2 knives or a pastry cutter until many small pebble-sized pieces are formed. In a small bowl whisk together milk, egg and Amaretto . Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Do not over mix.
For the filling:
- In pot heat 1/4 cup water with sugar (medium heat). When it begins to boil add 2 cups of blackberries and stir shortly. Mix together 1/2 cup of water and the cornstarch. Add this to the hot berries, stir again until it thickens. Take away from heat source, add remaining berries and butter. Stirr shortly.
For the cups:
- Fill 1/2 of your cups with the berry mixture and top with 1 tablespoon topping. The exactly amount of cups you need depends on the cup size. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cold.
For the upside-down cake:
- Cover the bottom of your baking mold with baking paper. Grease bottom and sides of the mold. Poor filling and spoon topping on it. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove sides, invert carefully on cake dish and remove bottom and baking paper.