- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 ounces margarine (see below***)
- 1 large egg, beaten (or use 1/4 cup extra ice water if allergic to eggs)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or water if you can't use vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- Mix flours, salt, and xanthan gum in a bowl. Rub in the margarine,but not too much. The mixture should resemble baked beans rather than breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vinegar and ice water.
- Slowly stir the egg mix into the flour mix, until a ball is formed.
- Knead the pastry (with a little gf flour if needed) for 2-3 minutes.
- Wrap the pastry and place in the fridge for at least an hour. **It can be frozen at this stage.
- If the pastry is a little hard when removed from the fridge, knead again a little bit.
- Roll out on a floured surface. Place in pie pan and follow baking instructions for your pie recipe.
- If cooked pastry is needed for your recipe the pastry can be cooked at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- substitute Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening to make it soy free. This is a non-hydrogenated, trans fat free vegetable shortening made from palm oil.