- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or spelt flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 medium apples, grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- apple, wedges to garnish (with or without peel)
- Soak the oats, apple juice, sugar and vanilla for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, grated apple and cinnamon.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites; Spoon into 12 muffin tins.
- Top muffins with 2 sliced apple wedges (cut quarters of apple into 3 or 4 wedges) and bake at 170° C (338°F) for 25 - 30 minutes until muffins and cooked though and golden.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.