1 1/2 lbs asparagus
5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (about)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion
2 cups arborio rice or 2 cups medium-grain white rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 sprig fresh rosemary (to garnish)
- Trim rough ends from asparagus; discard.
- Cut off asparagus tips and reserve.
- Cut stalks into 3/4 inch-long pieces.
- Place 2/3 of stalk pieces, 1 cup broth and 1 cup water in blender, reserving the remaining 1/3 of stalk pieces.
- Puree mixture until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add rice and stir 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook until absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and chopped rosemary, simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Continue to cook for 15 minutes, adding more broth by 1/2 cupfuls and allowing liquid to be absorbed before adding more, stirring often.
- Add reserved asparagus stalk pieces and reserved asparagus tips and continue cooking until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy; adding broth as needed and stirring often, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add reserved asparagus puree and stir until absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan and cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer risotto to bowl.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
- Serve, passing remaining Parmesan separately.