- 2/3 cup butter or 2/3 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (reduce to 1-1/4 cups for a less sweeter taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (24 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Set oven to 325 degrees F
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring butter, sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from the heat, with a wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups chocolate chips until melted; cool slightly, beat in vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl,whisk eggs, gradually add in the chocolate mixture, beating with a wooden spoon until completely mixed.
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt; add to the egg/chocolate mixture; mix well to combine.
- Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (don't over bake).
- Cut into squares.
Note: If desired, chopped walnuts may be added.